Saturday, April 10, 2010

KITCHEN TRICKERY






To tell the truth I really do not enjoy spending a lot of time in the kitchen unless it has something to do with re-arranging, re-decorating, or participating in some other task that has very little to do with the primary function of the kitchen, which is cooking. This is something that I have been trying to overcome seeing as how I have many little mouths to feed and like to see them eat healthy, home-made goodness. This means that inevitably, I have to spend some time in the kitchen, pretending to be interested in cutting, mixing, spicing, etc. etc


The problem here is that I really don't care too much about food myself. If it were up to me, (and if my arteries and fat cells would agree) I could quite happily live on macaroni and cheese with little hot dogs cut up into it. But fortunately for my body, I have kiddos who I don't want to eat that junk, and so I am trying to make the kitchen a more inviting place for a crafty (but not cook-y) mommy like myself. I figure if I can trick myself into thinking that I am doing some type of fun tactile project with the food, that I might actually begin to enjoy it - even if Jason regularly laughs at the fact that I never seem to make food that looks "normal" and every snack seem s to be in the shape of some animal or a smiley face. :) And if I can get the kids to focus for more than a minute or so to help out with the cooking / food art project then that's even better. Let's just blame my dad for all of those "cheese stick log cabins", "birds in a nest", and "ants on a log".

No comments:

Post a Comment