Thursday, April 15, 2010

KOMBUCHA; a.k.a. What's that gross blob doing on your counter?


In some parts of old China and Japan, it was often the custom for families to give a new bride a Kombucha as a wedding gift. This was nurtured throughout her marriage and then passed on to her own daughter.

Thanks to my lovely friend Liz, I was finally able to start up a batch of my own home made Kombucha last night. For those of you who don't have a clue as to what that is, I offer you the following explanation:

Kombucha is a living drink made by fermenting tea and sugar with the kombucha culture. It is thought to have originated in the Far East, probably China, and has been consumed there for at least two thousand years and was known as "The Tea of Immortality". Many of the benefits reported include improvements in energy levels, metabolic disorders, allergies, cancer, digestive problems, candidiasis, hypertension, HIV, chronic fatigue and arthritis. It ‘s also used externally for skin problems and as a hair wash among other things.

Some people find it utterly disgusting, and some like myself will spend the $3.50 per bottle because we have somehow overcome the weird fermented moldy taste and have grown to love it!





Follow this link to find the recipe that I used:

http://www.write101.com/kombucharecipes.htm

I also added some fresh ginger and a little bit of juice that I had in the fridge.....I'll let you know how it turns out!



No comments:

Post a Comment